Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Tool & Die Maker 1 (1st Shift)
at Valmont Corp
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
The Tool and Die Maker 1 employee follows the direction of the supervisor, lead person and more experienced employees to machine parts for tools as directed, including constructing and repairing dies, molds, gauges, jigs, and other fixtures to be used in a variety of production areas in all Valmont divisions. They also fabricate and/or repair parts and assemblies for the maintenance of plant equipment. The incumbent fabricates prototype parts for new product development. Tool and Die employees are expected to read mechanical blueprints and perform trigonometric calculations. Tool and Die employees must identify trends indicated by press monitoring systems and suggest corrections. All Tool and Die employees are expected to maintain a clean, neat and safe work area and keep machines and tools clean and in good working order. Tool and Die employees are expected to participate on continuous improvement teams. Required to operate a forklift and have successfully completed Valmont’s forklift training. Demonstrates the Company’s core values passion, integrity, results, and continuous improvement.
- Heat treatment of various ferrous materials through hardening and surface hardening
- Construct, and Troubleshoot, dies, fixtures, tooling and mechanical components
- Demonstrate the fundamentals of dimensional precision measurement and tolerancing
- Perform advanced shop math including geometry and trigonometry
- Proficiently operate CNC and mechanical lathes, mills, drills and grinders
- Proficiently demonstrate metal cutting and machine tool operations
- Weld mild steel with wire feed or stick
- Use the computer to access various programs (email, labor reporting, safety, training)
- The ability to work over ten hours a week to include additional time on weekends in overtime when required for business needs.
- Safely operate and drive a forklift
- Operate material handling equipment such as hydraulic lifts, jib and bridge cranes to facilitate material handling requirements
- Receive, inspect, clean and stock steel, nonferrous metals, phenolics, plastics and other raw materials as needed for various projects.
- Communicates effectively through written and spoken word
- This position reports into Global Manager Process Engineering
Important Details about the Role
- Reviews assigned job instructions and prints to see if there are any mistakes or missing information
- Assures the area is safe to work as prescribed by company safety policies and followed by others in the working environment
- Determines what materials are required and how best to utilize those materials
- Determines what machines are best suited to perform the work efficiently
- Determines what tools will be needed to do the machining
- Develops a plan and sequence of steps to setup and hold the materials to be machined
- Considers what affects the machining might have on the material that may affect the final dimensions
- Programs the CNC machine using print information to determine coordinates for tool paths
- Positions proper guarding of the point of operation to protect self and others from the cutting tool and chips
- Inspects work quality frequently to assure specifications are being met
- Keeps the department and immediate work area orderly and clean
- Keeps the lead person up to date on work progress and any issues
- Uses CNC machining time to prepare for next steps, inspect quality, and clean area to maximize usage of available time and eliminate waste
- Documents changes or errors found on prints and notify the customer
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Successfully complete Toolmaker and Machinist tests as well as hands-on tests
- Experience with heat treatments of ferrous material through hardening and surface hardening
- Construction and troubleshooting of dies, fixtures tooling and mechanical components
- The ability to demonstrate the fundamentals of dimensional precision measurement and tolerancing using all micrometer types, calipers, indicators, thread gauges
- The ability to do advanced shop math including geometry and trigonometry
- The ability to proficiently operate CNC and manual lathes, mills, drills and grinders
- The ability to demonstrate metal cutting and machine tool operation
- Work experience welding mild steel with wire feed or stick
- The ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds frequently throughout the shift
- The ability to stand 90% of the shift; bend, pivot or squat 10% of the shift
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and computer proficiency to be able to communicate with other departments, enter time and labor functions, online training, as well as request time off
- The ability to work over ten hours a week in overtime and weekends when required for business needs
- The ability and willingness to communicate and interact with coworkers and others in a positive manner that is conducive to teamwork, with or without direct supervision
- The ability and willingness to perform tasks to maintain a clean and safe working environment within and outside the department as needed, with or without direct supervision
- Participates in department Safety and Lean programs
- Safely and efficiently operate; jib, monorail and bridge cranes
- Safely operate and drive a forklift
- Acceptable prior attendance, safety, and performance history
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- Associate’s degree in Machine Tool Technology or Tool and Die
- Previous experience working with Computer Aided Drafting software environment
- One year of previous experience operating a forklift in a professional environment
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries is a leading producer and distributor of products for the infrastructure and agriculture markets.
Valmont Industries began in 1946 when our founder, Robert B. Daugherty combined his $5,000 savings and wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. Since that modest start more than half a century ago, our company has grown to be an international leader in engineered products and services for infrastructure and water-conserving irrigation equipment for agriculture.
From the lighting and traffic structures that guide your way, to communication towers and utility structures that power your home and business, to irrigation equipment that waters the croplands on which your food is grown, Valmont products improve lives worldwide.
Valmont Industries operates in five primary business segments: Engineered Support Structures, Utility Support Structures, Coatings, Energy and Mining, and Irrigation. Valmont (VMI) is publicly traded on the NYSE.
We focus on two global markets: infrastructure and agriculture. Valmont Industries is present in 23 developed and developing countries, offering 27 brands from more than 80 facilities. International sales represent a significant portion of our revenues.
Valmont’s employees are passionate about the products we make. Along with our customers, they are the cornerstone of our success. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering optimal results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking our products and processes to new markets, introducing new products to regions where we have a presence, and continually improving our services to ensure that Valmont solutions are second-to-none.