Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Electro-Mechanical Technician Level 2
at Valmont Corp
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
The Electro-mechanical Technician 2 performs highly skilled technical work in areas of installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical, electronic, and mechanical equipment with a wide knowledge and high degree of proficiency. Responsibilities include new installations of equipment, major repairs and replacements. The Electro-mechanical Technician also performs general responsibilities such as recording labor and materials and reporting of abnormal conditions and safety hazards. The incumbent also occasionally is in charge of different industrial lifting equipment and is expected to operate all the hoists and forklifts in a safe and efficient manner.
- Install various types of power distribution equipment including gutters, disconnects, conduits and cables in accordance with UL and National Electric Code
- Perform diagnosis, testing, disassembly, inspecting, precise measuring, repair and re-assembly of plant equipment or components with limited instruction
- Maintain and install controllers and control equipment and change, alter, or modify existing equipment when necessary
- Install and repair lighting up to 480V
- Repair small fixtures, fans, and appliances while also repairing welders,wire feeds, plasma cutters, and motors over 110V
- Perform pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical, and electrical troubleshooting and repair plant production equipment as needed
- Use troubleshooting aids such as digital VOM to accurately interpret readings
- Maintain a neat and orderly work area and perform general housecleaning tasks as needed
- Perform other general responsibilities such as recording labor an materials and reporting abnormal conditions and safety hazards
- May occasionally assist newer co-workers and technicians in the first-tier with various tasks
- This is an individual contributor position with no direct reports
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Must agree to complete and pass a defined list of technical course work within a specified period of time (Note: This requirement will be waived for employees who have a degree in Electromechanical Technology.)
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience
- The ability to climb and work at elevated heights of up to eighty feet
- The ability to work over ten hours a week in overtime when required for business needs
- One year of previous experience maintaining industrial equipment
- One year of previous experience using industrial lifting equipment, cranes or hoists
- One year of previous experience using at least one of the following troubleshooting aides: thermography gun, digital VOM, volt, ohm or amp meters
- The ability to accurately interpret electrical schematics, blueprints and National Electrical Code books for both AC & DC electrical systems
- The ability to read and understand hydraulic and pneumatic valves and prints
- A working knowledge of using e-mail
- Ability to operate a forklift
- Experience welding and fabricating
- Self-starter requiring a minimum of supervision and direction
- Experience with pneumatic, hydraulic, and mechanical troubleshooting
- Experience with low-voltage electrical / electronic troubleshooting
- Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- A degree in Electromechanical Technology or Electrical Technology is preferred
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
Upon entering this position, the employee must agree to complete and pass the following course list or an equivalent as determined by the Company:
- INCT 1200 Basic Electricity
- INCT 2240 NEC Code
- INCT 2231 PLC I
- INCT 2232 PLC II
- INCT 2235 PLC Applications
- INCT 2050 Problem Solving
- INCT 2060 Mechanical Power Systems
- INCT 2070 Hydraulics & Pneumatics
- INCT 1050 Mechanical Print Reading
- INCT 1212 Motor Machine Controls
If the employee receives a C+ or below, the employee must retake the class at his/her own expense.
If the employee has earned an Electro-mechanical Technology degree, these classes will be waived.
Job Training Skill Development
Electrical and electronic troubleshooting as well as hydraulic & pneumatic troubleshooting skills should progressively improve. Job training skill development for these functions takes approximately 2 years. Mechanical troubleshooting proficiency should progressively improve during the first 6 months in the position. Other common functions to learn at a tier 2 level are dropping power to a machine, replacing proximity switches, replacing a hydraulic pump, replacing a hydraulic or pneumatic cylinder, installing a Hoffman box with PLC, understanding the operation of welders and clutch and brake systems on mechanical presses and press brakes, repairing welders, applying standard mechanical procedures and practices for repair and replacement of machine components, and the ability to diagnose and service electrical, electronic and mechanical components.
Whether the installation of electrical equipment meets National Electrical Codes, OSHA and Valmont Safety Standards is a decision of the technician. An Electro-mechanical Tech 2 determines power usage, availability of power and consumption. The tier 2 techs will troubleshoot electronic, electrical, & mechanical systems that do require independent judgment. An Electro-mechanical Tech 2 has to be able to decide whether or not equipment can run or needs immediate attention for repairs. A tier 2 technician may be called upon by a supervisor or lead to summarize jobs and give evaluations.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.
Valmont Industries is a leading producer and distributor of products for the infrastructure and agriculture markets.
Valmont Industries began in 1946 when our founder, Robert B. Daugherty combined his $5,000 savings and wholehearted belief that business could and should be done better. Since that modest start more than half a century ago, our company has grown to be an international leader in engineered products and services for infrastructure and water-conserving irrigation equipment for agriculture.
From the lighting and traffic structures that guide your way, to communication towers and utility structures that power your home and business, to irrigation equipment that waters the croplands on which your food is grown, Valmont products improve lives worldwide.
Valmont Industries operates in five primary business segments: Engineered Support Structures, Utility Support Structures, Coatings, Energy and Mining, and Irrigation. Valmont (VMI) is publicly traded on the NYSE.
We focus on two global markets: infrastructure and agriculture. Valmont Industries is present in 23 developed and developing countries, offering 27 brands from more than 80 facilities. International sales represent a significant portion of our revenues.
Valmont’s employees are passionate about the products we make. Along with our customers, they are the cornerstone of our success. We pride ourselves on being people of integrity who excel at delivering optimal results. We pursue opportunities for growth by taking our products and processes to new markets, introducing new products to regions where we have a presence, and continually improving our services to ensure that Valmont solutions are second-to-none.