University of Louisville Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
MED TECHNOLOGIST FLOAT - Full Time - CHI Health
at University of Louisville Hospital
CHI Health is a regional health network with a unified mission: nurturing the healing ministry of the Church while creating healthier communities. Headquartered in Omaha, the combined organization consists of 15 hospitals, two stand-alone behavioral health facilities and more than 150 employed physician practice locations in Nebraska and southwestern Iowa. More than 12,000 employees comprise the workforce of this network that includes 2,820 licensed beds and serves as the primary teaching partner of Creighton University's health sciences schools. In fiscal year 2014, the organization provided a combined $149.3 million in quantified community benefit including services for the poor, free clinics, education and research. With locations stretching from Kearney, Neb. to Missouri Valley, Iowa, the health network is the largest in Nebraska and serves residents of Nebraska and southwest Iowa. For more information, visit online at CHIhealth.com.
The incumbent reports directly to their specific area coordinator or site manager. The incumbent works collaboratively with management to achieve system objectives. In addition, the incumbent works cooperatively with Nursing and Ancillary Departments to deliver high quality and cost-effective laboratory.
· Critically evaluates specimens & correlates all lab results to the clinical picture of each individual. Communicates and documents testing and results in a timely manner to clinical personnel involved in patient care. Operates, calibrates, conducts performance checks, and maintains clinical lab instruments & equipment with appropriate documentation. Recognizes & corrects basic instrument malfunctions; refers serious problems to supervisor. Maintains competency as assigned with timely completion of testing.
- Follows Lean Principles and standard work, laboratory procedures and policies. Adheres to all laboratory procedures, policies and Job Guidance Sheets. Meet department defined turnaround times by working collaboratively with all parts of the process. Gives constructive input to improve processes.
· Follows CAP and all regulatory guidelines, demonstrating consistent adherence to national safety goals. Shows improvement in decreasing common verified errors.
· Maintains a professional knowledge base of laboratory science by accumulating the minimum CEUs required per year . Participates in departmental meetings, inservices, & committees (quality assurance, safety, infection control).
· Communicates positively about Alegent Health and with all lab staff, nurses, doctors, patients, & clinic staff. Respectfully acknowledges those not normally in your work area, and those communicating to you. Respond to all requests in an appropriate timeframe. Utilizes WOW and CARE tools. Smiles and has eye contact with those in work environment. Maintains a clean and orderly work environment. Shares responsibility for keeping workplace clean, safe, and in good repair.
· Provides clinical orientation and supervision for new or less skilled laboratory personnel and for students in training. May lecture and provide continuing education demonstrations. In the absence of the general supervisor, may provide general supervision.
· Carries out the mission of this hospital through quality of service and maintaining a cooperative effort with staff, and a caring attitude toward patients, visitors, and co-workers. Actively contributes to the total overall scope of lab services, understanding the final lab product, its uses, and their accountability to see it is delivered by participating as part of the lab team to ensure accurate and timely services that produces a cumulative summary report that is understandable.
· Interacts with bio-medical staff and servicemen for instrument malfunction. Stocks work area and notes inventory.
Preferred: One year in applicable section of laboratory
Required: Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or successfully completed three years of academic study with a minimum of 90 semester hours at an accredited college or university, and completion of 12 months of training in an accredited school of Medical Technology.
Bachelor's degree in one of the chemical, physical, or biological sciences from an accredited college or university, and completion of at least one year of full-time laboratory experience or training in the specialty or sub-specialty in which the individual performs tests.
Has successfully completed three years or 90 semester hours in an approved college or university and has experience or training covering several fields of medical laboratory work for at least one year in the specialty or sub-specialty in which the individual performs tests.
Have completed on or before February 28, 1992 the necessary education and experience pre-requisites to qualify for proficiency examination approved by HHS/HEW.
Registered by the ASCP or NCA as a Medical Technologist (Bachelor's degree not required if registered before 1960), if educated in the United States or ASCP eligible. **Employees hired before May 1, 2003 are grandfathered into the previous requirements and are exempt from the necessary registration. New graduates that have successfully completed the education and training of an accredited school of Medical Technology will have 6 months from graduation to pass the Registry of ASCP or NCA. Failure to pass the registry will result in termination.
Have had their academic degrees obtained outside the United State and its territories validated as equivalent to those granted by an accredited college or university in the United States by an agency that specializes in this service. Meet the requirements of highly complex testing by CLIA'88.
Meet the requirements of highly complex testing by CLIA'88.
Successfully completed an official U.S. military medical laboratory procedures training course of at least 50 week duration and have held the military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical Laboratory Specialists (Laboratory Technician).
Have previously qualified or could have qualified as a technologist under 493.1491 on or before February 28, 1992.
Has passed a proficiency examination for Clinical Laboratory Technologists approved by HHS.
BLS or BLS instructor certification is required upon hire. Acceptable credentialing bodies and certifications include the following: American Red Cross: CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, American Safety and Health Institute: CPR, PRO, must say “Professional Level-with AED”, and American Heart Association: Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.
All employees who work in the state of Iowa must complete mandatory reporter (child and dependent abuse reporting) training within 6 months of hire and recertify every 5 years
Problem solving skills are required. Communication skills are required. Performing scientific testing on laboratory instruments is required. Knowledge of particular testing to be performed is desired. Ability to use lab equipment, general clerical equipment, telephones and computers is required. Job requires continuous reading skills, verbal communication skills and written communication skills.
Normal laboratory environment. Exposure to chemical and biological hazards. Routine periods of sitting, walking, and standing required.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.