Ralston Public Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Special Education Paraprofessional
at Ralston Public Schools
Openings as of 6/17/2019
- Special Education Paraprofessional JobID: 310
- Position Type:
Support Staff/Special Education Paraprofessional
- Date Posted:
- Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, and other skills.
- Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.
- Assists professional staff in the administration and correction of classroom exercises, tests and assessments.
- Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
- Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance.
- Assists with classroom behavioral management to minimize disruptions, ensure a safe and orderly classroom, and ensure students are on task.
- Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, playground duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.
- Accompanies students on field trips for the purpose of assisting with supervision.
- Constructs, copies and distribute and use educational materials as needed.
- Assists teacher with parent contact as requested to foster effective and participatory parent involvement in student education.
- Assists students with special needs in all aspects of classroom instruction to maximize inclusion, learning, achievement if IEP objectives, etc.
- Participates in IEP process and serves as resource for the student personnel evaluation team as needed.
- Assist students with physical or mental disabilities with activities of daily living for the purpose of maximizing their ability to participate in school or learning activities.
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students, including those with disabilities or special needs.
- Maintains a regular and predictable attendance history while employed by the district
- Meets NCLB requirements as a highly qualified paraprofessional.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
- Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
- Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of college level coursework or passing of examination as required by the No Child Left Behind Act.
- Prior experience working with special needs children desirable.
- Prior medical training (CNA or LPN certification) preferred
Special Education Paraprofessional
Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives, and to free certified professional employees from non-professional duties, when necessary.
Essential Job Functions: This description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities associated with this position. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
FLSA Status: Non-exempt